What is a Homestead?
What exactly is a homestead? The most obvious meaning is a "home or a dwelling" but the term homestead has come to mean so much more in recent years. The Back-to-the-Land Movement in the 1970's brought about a new meaning for homesteads. They became known as the dwellings of individuals who appreciated a rich, thrifty country-style life full of self satisfaction and self-sufficiency. This rewarding lifestyle choice can be appreciated and lived whether you live in a rural country area or in a big city.
Homesteaders as we know them today strive to live a more self sufficient life, a life that is not entirely dependent upon local grocers, storefronts, energy companies, and the like. Among the many and varied interests of homesteaders and potential homesteaders are the following:
* Gardening - Growing their own organic produce
* Raising livestock
* Food conservation and storage
* Producing their own food - bread, cheese, milk, meat, etc.
* Making their own clothing and household items
* Conserving energy and using alternative energy
* Using renewable and recyclable materials
* Using homeopathic or natural remedies for illness
* Living in harmony with nature